Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Are You Kidding Me?

I spoke with a woman, Y, yesterday about scheduling an appointment with my company. Y said that things were overwhelming right now, since they had just moved up from Orlando, and her son, who is autistic and has seziures, is having problems at school.

Anyone says "Autisic" to me and I am ready to throw down and talk. So I mentioned that I too have an autistic son in school and what kind of problems is he having?

Y told me that the school he attends considers him a behavior problem and wants her to allow them to send him to jail when he acts out. *Deep breath* Say what? They want you to send your autistic son to jail? Are they out of their minds? Sending any kid to jail is a pretty darned drastic measure, if you ask me (though I will grant that there are some cases where it is totally warranted). An autistic child? Someone who can't speak clearly and always control their actions and you want to send that kid to the pressure cooker of jail.

Then Y said that her son had been off his medication for a month because she did not know who to turn to now that they have relocated. Y got my complete list of people DEE sees on a regular basis and phone numbers to boot! Hopefully, she made a bunch of calls yesterday and is on her way to helping her son have a better school experience.

As for the heifer that wants to send a kid to jail - she best be glad I don't know her name. Or I might be spending a night in jail.

No comments:

Post a Comment