Monday, February 6, 2012

Medicine Drama

I know, I know. I was totally one of those people. One of those, "I'll never put my kids on drugs" people. Thinking that medicine was a cop out to "real parenting" (which is WHAT exactly, I sureashell don't friggin know!).



That Was B.D. As in Before DEE_structor. You see, DEE has a couple of twitches, or "stemms" as we like to say about folks with autism. He really likes flapping his hands; he'll be the first person to make a self-powered flight. He has some serious wrist power. The probelm with this stemm is that he may, albeit unintentionally, knock your friggin-ass out. DEE is not exactly aware of his body's relationship to space, people, cups full of chocolate milk.



And yet, that's not the stemm that makes me lose my holyeverlovin' mind. It's the noises. As in, a honking/grinding sound that reverberates in my hollow skull. As in, a high pitched sustained "whoooo-ooooooo-oooooooooop" that changes between 3 tones at a glass breaking, nerves shattering, dearheavenplease-don't-do-that-while-I'm-driving levels.




We are trying medication. First, we tried Focalin. Massive Fail. DEE is a very loving little boy, not really prone to aggressive behavior. On Focalin, he turned into the Incredible DEE-Hulk. Full of rage and showing it all the time.


So then we tried Tenex. The only effect it had on DEE was that he peed. Uncontrollably. All the time. No Tenex = no wet beds, no accidents at school, no accidents in Grandma's brand new convertible. (Seriously - he loves her car. And when he lost control of his bladder, he made an EPIC Niagra Falls potty break. No extra clothes, no towels = one mostly naked kid wearing this momma's green sweater.)





#3 - Zoloft. We are just now at the end of Week 1. The only effect so far is that DEE's noises are somewhat abated. Whether that's the medicine, or he got tired of watching his momma looseherfreakingmind, I don't know. We'll see.



As a futher side note, DEE is supposed to wear a medicine patch that delivers 1 mg per hour of clonodine. He won't even wear a Mickey Mouse or Thomas the Tank Engine band-aid when bleeding. I don't have a clue how to get him to wear a patch. Put it on him while he's sleeping? Maybe? Ideas? Thoughts? Suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment